One of my favorite ways to take herbs is by hiding them in delicious little treats. In this video, I demonstrate how to make Ojas Balls. According to Ayurveda, the word Ojas (pronounced oh-jus) means vigor or vitality. It is the essential energy of the body, the sap that creates the glow of health. Once all of the body’s seven tissues (plasma, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow, and reproductive tissue) are nourished and digestion is balanced, ojas increases.
In this recipe I use maca powder, which is an herb from Peru. It contains high levels of vitamin B, D and E as well as iron, calcium, zinc and magnesium. Maca is often known as a mood booster that helps balance hormones, enhance libido, increase fertility and boost energy. Enjoy these healthy little treats to get a quick blast of natural energy!
1 cup almond butter
1 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup goji berries
1/2 tsp Maca powder for each ball
1. Mix the coconut flakes, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and goji berries in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 tbs almond butter in one spot within the mixing bowl.
3. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp maca powder over the almond butter.
4. Cover the almond butter/maca with other ingredients.
5. Scoop the ball into your hand and gently start to press and squeeze the ingredients into a round, ball shape.
6. Continue adding the dry ingredients to the wet ball mixture until it stays together independently.
7. Store Ojas Balls in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can experiment with other ingredients like cacao powder, dates, cinnamon, honey, Himalayan pink salt, etc. To learn more about maca powder, click here.